Thursday 7 August 2014

Mini Reviews ft. Dreams of Gods and Monsters, A Monster Calls, and The Assassin's Blade


Today, I bring you mini reviews that I have written over time.  These are for books which I didn't have quite enough to say for a separate review, but for which I did want to comment on.  Here they are...

★★★★★
YES

Dreams of Gods and Monsters by Laini Taylor
Everything about this book was beautiful.  Except Razgut.  I hate Razgut.  I'm not going to go into the synopsis, as it is the last book in a trilogy after all.  I thought it was a very fitting and fulfilling conclusion to the Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy.  The writing was entrancing and at times I would find myself forgetting how long I had been reading for.  If you haven't read this trilogy yet - get on it!
A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness
 This is a story that I won't forget for a long time.  It follows Conor, a young boy whose mother is unwell and his struggles due to that.  The pictures in the book are stunning and suit the tone of the story perfectly, as well as, I believe, Conor's emotions.  I could get lost for minutes at a time taking in all the elements to each illustration.  This is a quick read, dealing realistically with dark, yet sadly common, issues that I would recommend to anyone.  In fact, I've already convinced my brother to read it.
★★★★★
Hauntingly Beautiful

???

The Assassin's Blade by Sarah J. Maas
This is a bind up of the Throne of Glass novellas and gets a larger picture because it is so pretty!  I have read and really enjoyed the first two novellas in the book - The Assassin and the Pirate Lord ~and~ The Assassin and the Healer.  Celaena (the main character) is all-round awesome, and I loved that even though she is an assassin, she still has a conscience.  I'm having a bit of difficulty getting through this because I have this idea that I have to read each novella in one sitting - so I keep waiting for a time to present itself where I can just sit and read 100 or so pages.  These times are, of course, rare, and I've been waiting a couple of days for one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts
Back to Top