Saturday 10 January 2015

Soundtrack Saturday - Dangerous Boys


Today I have another Soundtrack Saturday post for you.  This book meme was created by Erin at The Hardcover Lover, in case you didn't know, and the aim is to pick a book you've read and pick songs that fit it.  There's more information here.

This Saturday, I'm picking songs to fit Dangerous Boys by Abigail Haas.  This was the last book I read in 2014, and I enjoyed it even more than Dangerous Girls (I seem to be in the minority here).  If you haven't read Dangerous Boys yet, I 1) highly recommend that you do and 2) suggest that you don't read this post as there are many, many spoilers.

* The links are to lyrics, rather than the actual song. *

A Song That Fits The Beginning
For this I've picked All Signs Point To Lauderdale by A Day To Remember.  I think it matches Chloe's feelings at the very beginning of the novel - "I hate this town" and "I just can't be tied down" being some of them.  I also think there's a few lines that fit with how she feels towards her mother at the beginning such as "now I never know the things to say to you".

A Song That Fits A Character
I've chosen No Different by Tonight Alive for this category.  The whole chorus - "I was looking for something to drown out the pain.  But with all the wrong answers it started again.  I learned on that very day, I just cannot keep running away from myself.  Under a spell dragged myself to hell."-  seems to fit with Chloe's decisions such as pursuing the relationship with Ethan (poor, poor Ethan) just to forget about the rest of her life and problems, and how, in the end, Ethan became part of her problems.  Other decisions she made, like, oh I don't know, GOING ALONG WITH MURDER, fit with the "dragged myself to hell" part.

A Song That Fits A Relationship
Heavy In Your Arms by Florence and The Machine is the song I've picked for this.  I think it describes perfectly the way that Chloe feels about Ethan's love of her, only the perspective is wrong.  "My love's an iron ball, wrapped around your ankles" and "my love has concrete feet" describe how Chloe thinks he is holding her back.  "[S]he took me to the river, where [s]he slowly let me drown" and "Who is the betrayer?  Who's the killer in the crowd?" are also some pretty cool lyrics in relation to what happens at the lake house.

A runner-up song choice for this category was, strangely, Happily by One Direction.  I think it fits Chloe's relationship with Oliver pretty well, except for the part where it was anything but happy!  "It's four A.M. and I know that you're with him.  I wonder if he knows that I've touched your skin.  And if he feels my traces in your hair I'm sorry, love, but I don't really care" and "I know you wanna leave, so come on baby be with me" are totally things that Oliver would say though.

A Song That Fits The Ending
I picked Break Your Little Heart by All Time Low for this one.  The chorus seems to encompass the ending: "I'm gonna break your little heart, watch you take the fall, laughing all the way to the hospital.  'Cause there's nothing surgery can do when I break your little heart in two."
I think the fact that Chloe stabbed Ethan, and then didn't care when he found out (well, she cared if it meant she was going to be found out, which I guess didn't matter in the end anyway) counts as breaking his heart.  I could imagine her laughing about what she did too.  I also think it's funny how the song mentions surgery, as Ethan had to have the surgery for his stab wound, but it couldn't do anything to fix what had happened.
And finally, "I'm moving on but you're left behind" is Chloe's attitude to everyone when she decides to leave her town for good and...visit...her dad.  Yikes.

Thanks for reading my Soundtrack Saturday of this week!

4 comments:

  1. I haven't read this one. I feel like all your Soundtrack Saturdays are on books that I've never read. This one's on my list, though, so I can't wait to see if I end up thinking of these songs too.

    Thanks so much for playing along, Sabrina! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I haven't read a lot of your Soundtrack Saturdays either! I hope you end up reading it soon - I really enjoyed it.
      It was a lot of fun :)

      Delete
    2. I've heard good things about it, so it's definitely on my list. I just have to get through all of these ARCs and owned books first. lol

      Delete
    3. I know the feeling. I have so many owned books I have to read. I'm making them a priority over anything else at the moment.

      Delete

Related Posts
Back to Top